Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thrifting... A National Pastime

Or at least it should be. I love shopping - especially for a bargain. Unfortunately that's not an easy thing to do in Bermuda. Things are ridiculously expensive here (2-3 times the price in the US). And as far as I know, there are only 3 places on the entire island where a girl can go to find a good deal: The Salvation Army, The Barn, and The Dollar Depot (where everything's well over a dollar).

I only shop for things I can use in teaching James, so this weekend I went to The Barn in search of some practical life materials (for our Montessori lessons). It's usually pretty hit or miss there, and I was sooo excited to find lots of great things - check it out!!Here's what you see:
  • A bag of mini strawberries (will use for tonging)
  • Duck basket (see close up)
  • Mini basket w/ handle
  • 2 bowls w/ citrus pattern (LOVE these!)
  • 2 mini potters (perfect for the spring/garden lesson I have planned)
  • 2 colbalt blue egg cups that came with... wait for it... a little spoon! Spooning work ready to go!
  • A little handmade basket/box (see close up)
  • 2 glass shell bowls (will go great with our shell sorting)
  • A beautiful green, ceramic cup (see close up)
  • 2 glass fish... things. Don't know what these actually are, but I'm going to use them for spooning.
  • And finally, 4 books
All this for $12!! Ok, so I know that probably doesn't sound like much a deal to some of you, but trust me, in Bermuda it's a steal!

Here are the close-ups:
I plan on using these for sorting. That lil basket is handmade and I like that it has a lid. James loves opening things to find surprises. :) And how cute is that duck, honestly? I plan on filling him with some type of spring-themed thing (flowers, maybe?). Lastly the green cup, I just had to show you how pretty it is with that basket looking pattern.

I love love love practical life work and these little goodies will have me smiling all week! Those of you who know Montessori will appreciate my finds that much more.

I love when other Bloggers share their thrifty finds, so I decided to do the same from now on. I *try* not to go thrifting too often (Hubs doesn't appreciate my new hobby), but whenever I do I'll be sure to post about it! And (Hubs is gonna love me for this) I decided that I'll donate something each time I shop. It's a total win-win sitch!

9 comments:

Jen said...

OMG I didn't know you like to shop! You mean all that time I was on island we could've been shopping together?!
And 12 dollars for ANYTHING is a steal in Bermuda. Good job!

Karen said...

Great deals!!! I love all things you find!! SPECIALLY THE ORANGES!! so cute!! Congrats!!!

Tara Broman said...

I love thrifting, too! I especially love finding vintage children's books and cookbooks.

Your finds will be absolutely perfect for Montessori activities/lessons. Hope your little guy enjoys them!

sbswtp said...

Awesome finds!!!! I'm very excited for you :) I totally love a good deal!

The girl who painted trees said...

I have the same problem living in Costa Rica! No good deals and everything 2 to 3 times the US price! Pumpkins were 16 dollars to give you an idea!

http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks for your nice comments!

Ha! Jen, yes, I've ALWAYS been a shopper!! :)

The Girl Who Painted Trees, I'm so glad there's someone who knows what I'm talking about! Our pumpkins, not matter how medium or small were *only* $14 this year. Cheap! LOL

Paul said...

you gotta do what you can do in this economy, great job miss!

LeeanneA said...

http://kreativeactivities.blogspot.com/search/label/Garage%20sale%20finds
I am the Queen of Garage sales and Thrift shops - have a look at this years finds! Lots of FREEE stuff as well!
I love your finds keep on sharing I love to see what others get!

One Pink Bird said...

I LOVE to thrift shop! Well I love to shop period but thrifting has a high that goes booyah, I got a steal!
I love your little finds! I will have to keep my eyes peeled for baskets! That's something we have not done yet! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see what you find next!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails